Versant Ventures is a leading venture capital firm specializing in investments in game-changing biopharmaceutical and medical device opportunities. Versant pioneered the build-to-buy structured exit model, creating new companies based on insights and knowledge from the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Founded in 1999, the firm consists of an experienced team of investors committed to helping entrepreneurs build successful companies that are developing breakthrough therapies for debilitating diseases. Versant has offices in the US, Canada and Switzerland.
- Leading venture capital firm specializing in biopharmaceuticals and medical device investments
- Pioneer of the build-to-buy structured exit model
- Founded in 1999, with $1.6 billion under management and more than 100 portfolio companies
- Team of experienced investors and operators, with deep networks into the pharma and biotech industries
- Early-stage focus, with sufficient capital reserves to support companies through to liquidity
- Active investors, with board seats in all of our portfolio companies
- Invests throughout the US, Canada and Europe, with a physical presence in the major healthcare centers of Northern and Southern California; Minneapolis; Vancouver, Canada; and Basel, Switzerland.
Versant in Europe
Versant Ventures has a team in Basel, Switzerland, dedicated to working with entrepreneurs, industry and leading academics across Europe.The team has decades of experience in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, including global roles in drug discovery, research and product development for companies such as Roche, Novartis and Lilly. Versant’s Basel office is led by Tom Woiwode, Guido Magni, Gianni Gromo and Carlo Rizutto.